Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, January 19, 2009

I'm not calling them "upsets" per se, just hard fought games between closely-matched teams.

Jacinta Monroe had 15 points, 10 rebounds, and a school record nine blocks to help Florida State extend its winning streak to seven games with a 59-49 victory over #25 Georgia Tech.

Alexis Gray-Lawson scored 37 points of Cal's 57 points, including a key late game drive and two free throws, to help lift No. 11/9 Cal over 57-54 victory over 9/7 Stanford.
“I was crying about this time last year. I felt like this was kind of a rerun of last year,” Gray-Lawson said of that 60-58 loss in February when her team was ranked eighth and Stanford at No. 7. “With a minute left, I knew the ball had to be in my hands. I went to the basket and happened to make it.”
Great crowd -- over 10,000 in the Berkeley arena:
“It was as loud as I’ve ever heard it over here,” Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer said. “It was a great crowd. People were into it. It was a great game. It’s very exciting. We love playing over here. I wish it was this way in every arena in the Pac-10. It was awesome.”
Anyone catch the women's basketball history reference at the end of the game? Sweet!