Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, January 25, 2009

In the LA Times, Sparks owner Kathy Goodman writes an appreciation of Coach Yow:
I met Coach Yow once. She came to a Sparks game during our 2007 season - the first season we owned the team. I saw her sitting behind our bench and hesitated about talking to her. We were not playing our best basketball that day and we were getting killed on the court. I finally summoned up the courage and approached her. I introduced myself and told her I wished she had come when we were playing better. She smiled at me and said, "You have a good young team here. Don’t worry. They’ll be fine. I just like watching basketball." It seemed so simple.

I would say Coach Yow would be missed, but the legacy she has left us is so expansive, so pervasive, she will always be a part of women’s basketball.