Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, January 18, 2009

Some more coaching articles -- all with an orange theme.

L.A. life agrees with Caldwell

"I went straight from the podium to a meeting with my team," Caldwell said. "I told them that I was their new head coach and that they were my focus right then and there. I think it was an easy transition for them because I made them my number one priority.
Winning Down Pat
Nearly 1,000 times, the Lady Vols have charged onto the basketball court and emerged victorious—a rare achievement.

Maybe the UT teams could have gained that level of success without Pat Summitt. But so enormous is the reputation of this Tennessee homegirl and so fierce her dedication to Lady Vol basketball that it’s virtually impossible to distinguish between the team, the coach, and the overall program. Though she points out she’s never scored a basket for the Lady Vols, Summitt is unmistakably the heart of the matter.
A dribble down memory lane for Carla McGhee and Nikki McCray
When Dawn Staley visits Thompson-Boling Arena today for the first time as South Carolina’s coach, she will be flanked by a pair of assistant coaches who are as much a part of the Tennessee tradition as Rocky Top and orange uniforms.
Carla McGhee and Nikki McCray are members of Tennessee’s Hall of Fame who missed each other in Knoxville by a year. Both were teammates with Staley on the U.S. squad during the 1996 Olympics and have reunited a dozen years later in Columbia, where they hope to put a dent in the Lady Vols’ SEC supremacy.