Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, January 12, 2009

The Vandy fans are quite excited, and Pat is somewhat stymied -- which I'm guessing will be a season-long occurance as she tries to wrangle her young crew and figure out her point guard situation.

The #24 Commodores upset the #11 Volunteers -- earning Melanie Balcomb her first victory over Summitt's team.

"One of my favorite quotes to my players all the time is, ‘If you keep doing what you do, you're going to keep getting what you get,'" Balcomb said. "And what I kept doing to beat Tennessee every year was act like it wasn't a big game. Not put more pressure on them, not make it a big deal. Act like it's just another game. And I talked to some people in the offseason that said, ‘It is a big game.'"

Said Summitt:


Vanderbilt was the better team from tip off to the end. They had an incredible ability to take us off the dribble. This is the most aggressive Vanderbilt team we have ever played and definitely the most aggressive team we've played this season. You have to give Melanie credit. You can't take a thing away from Vanderbilt. We simply did not go out there and represent. We've been playing a half a game, instead f a full 40 minutes. We need to go back and get our defense better."

We struggled against Kentucky. We went into halftime against Rutgers ith only 13 points. We have only played, at best, one good half. I don't know what to do about it at this moment, but I can tell you this: I don't think much of what I said mattered today. We got whipped."


Coach Summitt is five wins away from her 1000th victory. As a friend of the blog pointed out to me, ESPN execs are probably whispering, "Please, please, please, Auburn, beat Tennessee so the Oklahoma/TN game on ESPN2 can be Pat's chance at 1000."