Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mechelle blogs about the Texas/Iowa State game:
Texas coach Gail Goestenkors entered a pink sea at Hilton Coliseum on Sunday, and a rush of thoughts, images and memories came to mind. More than two decades ago, she spent a season here at Iowa State, a grad assistant fresh out of college. It was such a different time in women's basketball, but especially different at a place like Iowa State.

The arena that was rocking with 12,242 fans on Sunday often was so quiet way back then that you could have held an intimate conversation in the stands. Except you wouldn't have wanted to because, you know, everyone could have heard you.

"To see it today, walking out, I was really proud," Goestenkors said. "I was proud of this crowd. And I feel a very tiny, tiny bit part of it, just because it's where I started my coaching career.