Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, March 20, 2009

A couple from the NYTimes:

Red Foxes Confidence Comes From Fitz's Experience

The women from the Marist basketball team know they should not fast-break toward a night on the town without checking with Rachele Fitz, their junior power forward and fashion coach. She is woven into the fabric of this program and college in so many ways.
An essay from Melissa Johnson: First Step in Becoming a Winner: Act Like One
On March 14, 1998, I sat in a dark hotel room with both hands over my mouth to prevent my yelps from waking my teammate in the next bed.
A 6-foot-4 sophomore center at North Carolina, I was transfixed by the N.C.A.A. tournament game lighting up before me, a game that would persuade me to give up my full scholarship, million-dollar locker room, teammates who could dunk and fancy Nike luggage.

Sixteenth-seeded Harvard, a bunch of basketball nobodies, was battling top-ranked Stanford at raucous Maples Pavilion — and winning.