Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, March 23, 2009

So the game everyone is talking about is, of course, Ball State's upset of Tennessee. (2nd most emailed story at the NYTimes) Writes Jere in A Shocking First for the Tennessee Women
It is difficult to overstate how unprecedented and unexpected the Lady Vols’ defeat was. This is a program that has won eight national titles and is the only university to have made the field every year since the N.C.A.A. began sponsoring a women’s tournament in 1982.
And notes Mechelle: Day 2: The bell tolls for Tennessee … at least for now
Tennessee never dropped out of my Top 25 poll this season, and I had the Orange Crush moving on to the Sweet 16 in my bracket (which I reluctantly fill out every year).

But now Tennessee is out of the tournament after the first round - a sentence I never thought I would type. Not even this season.