Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Saturday, April 04, 2009

OU's student paper compares this year's Sooners to the same university's 2002 Final Four squad.

At the same paper, sports editor Steven Jones admits that he prefer to watch the guys, but says he'll be watching Courtney and company Sunday: "Women’s basketball is worth watching [for Jones], simply because OU is doing something special right now. I liken it to the year the Dallas Stars won the Stanley Cup. I’m by no means a hockey fan, but as a Dallas native, I was definitely watching the playoffs that year."

In Norman, Oklahoma's non-student newspaper, coach Coale remembers how her team beat the Boilermakers after a lousy first half. "I thought the most important thing I could do was convince our kids that we could win," she says, "and that’s what I spent my time talking about.”