Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, June 18, 2009

Also from the WSF: It Takes a Team's Pat Griffin speaks with Jenelle DeVits and her mom. A graduate of the University of New Hampshire, DeVits is an out lesbian who played basketball for the university.
PG: What athletic accomplishments are you most proud of?

JD: I walked on as a freshman and received a scholarship my junior year, and received the Wildcat Award because my coaches felt that I embodied what it meant to be a student-athlete at the University of New Hampshire.

PG: How did you come out to your teammates? Your coaches?

JD: I was never in the closet to them. My freshman year I had to come out, but it wasn’t noticeable. I just made sure me having a girlfriend was just as “normal” as everyone having boyfriends.