Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Saturday, July 18, 2009

I first heard about Darla Simpson a few years back when she played in the NWBL. Today, the Houston Chronicle catches up with her.
She was an all-conference selection twice during her time on the University of Houston basketball team.

She was selected to the Southwest Conference All-Decade second team and went on to play in the American Basketball League and WNBA.

Fast-forward nearly 20 years to 2009, a time when Darla Simpson never thought she would be playing basketball. Then again, she never thought her relationship with coach Louis Ray III would evolve into a 10-year career with the semi-pro Houston Jaguars.

“I didn't like Louis that much at first, but when he started the team it was a way for me to stay in shape,” Simpson, 39, said. “I've always loved basketball and I still enjoy it, but I never thought I would play this long. I'm going to do it as long as I'm having fun.”