Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, August 27, 2009

One of the quietest stars of the league gets her night:
The San Antonio Silver Stars have declared their 7 p.m., Sept. 1 game with Minnesota at the AT&T Center "Vickie Johnson Night" in honor of the all-star guard's final season in the WNBA.

Johnson has played more WNBA games than any other player in the history of the league, recently logging her 400th appearance. She played the first game in league history on June 21, 1997, helping the New York Liberty to a 67-57 win over the Los Angeles Sparks. She announced in June that 2009, her 13th WNBA season, would be her last
Considering how she chose LaTech, it's kinda cool that she's wearing stars in her last W season.
Q: Did you choose Louisiana Tech because it was one of the best programs, or because it was in Louisiana?

VJ: (Laughs) I never told anyone this…. I was playing with my brothers outside one day, and my mom called me in the house and she said, “VJ, there’re some girls on TV playing basketball. I think [La Tech] was playing against Cheryl Miller. And I said, “You know what? You see the team in the blue with the stars? That’s the team I wanted to play for – with the stars,” ’cause I wanted to be a star. (Laughs) That’s why I went to Louisiana Tech. The stars.