Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Close to 10,500 watched the Sparks clinch a playoff berth, but their 76-68 win over San Antonio wasn't a cakewalk. Solid games by Lisa (18pts) and Tina (15pts) matched by a nice game by Noelle Quinn (7-15 for 15pts. And 6 assists) helped seal the win in the fourth.

From the big boss Kathy:
I had a lot of possible titles for this post. I thought about “A Tale of Two Teams” and “What a difference a day makes.” But really, at the end of the game, there was only one thought going through my head, and that’s what I used as the title: “Sparks clinch the playoffs!”

I really did not think it was going to be this hard, or take this long, or be this close. I thought we’d lose a few games, but end the season with fewer than 20 wins? I would have owed a lot of people a lot of money if we had bet on that at the beginning of the season. And now, here we were, three games from the end of the regular season, wondering if we were even going to qualify for the postseason at all.
Just going to say, once again, how fabulous that an owner would put in the time and energy to market her team. Smart and savvy. And the leadership the W needs. Forget about whining that you don't have the people or personnel. Just do it!

(I just tried to imagine owner Dolan or GM Blaze writing a Liberty blog, and I began to giggle. In a bad way.)