Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, December 06, 2009

I think I've got them all -- and I think the ones I have are eligible -- So here goes: the candidates for the WHB Maggie Dixon D-1 Rookie Coach of the Year. (Drop an email if I'm wrong or missed someone)

Michael Cooper - USC. 4-4 Until I hear otherwise - and however odd it may seem, with his WNBA experience - he's considered a rookie.
Jamelle Elliott - University of Cincinnati - 4-3
Mike McLaughlin - University of Pennsylvania - 0-7
Sytia Messer - Tennesse Tech - 2-3 (Was an Associate Head Coach - don't know what that does to her status.)
Karen Middleton - Western Carolina - 2-6
John Olenowski - Manhattan - 3-4
Cary Shelton - Arkansas - Pine Bluff - 1-5 (Some seriously hard non-conference games.)
Dana Takahara-Dias - Hawai'i - 3-5 (Add another to the point guard-to-coach list)
Teresa Weatherspoon - LaTech. 4-2 Even though she took over mid-season last year, she's still eligible.
Paul Westhead - Oregon - 7-1 Another that, until I hear otherwise - and however odd it may seem, with his WNBA experience - he's considered a rookie 'cause this is his first women's college team.