Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mechelle and Vancouver and *not* being there

Those of us formerly in the newspaper business have had to adjust to a different reality in the last couple of years. One of the things that has changed for me is that for the first time since 1984, I am not involved in any coverage of an Olympic Games.

From 1988-2008, I was either an editor or writer for Olympic stories. It was a couple of weeks after I returned from the Beijing Games in ‘08 that I found out I wouldn’t be working for The Kansas City Star anymore.

So I wasn’t exactly sure how I’d feel about the 2010 Vancouver Games. Some friends asked me if I was upset or bothered by not going, and I said I was intentionally not thinking about it much.