Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, June 14, 2010

From C.K. Davis and the Daily World -- a little more on Spoon: Weatherspoon's career marked by intensity
The scars have long disappeared, but the memory remains for Vickie Johnson.

It was in 2000, during a practice session with the New York Liberty, when Johnson discovered the five-star intensity level of Teresa Weatherspoon, current head coach of Louisiana Tech University's Lady Techsters."I thought I was a pretty hard-nosed player," laughed Johnson at the recollection. "But I found out that day it was nothing compared to 'Spoon.'

"She was starting for the Liberty and I was on the second team and, being that I was still relatively new to the league, I wanted to see how I could do against her. On this day, we got to battling pretty good and the next thing I know, I am getting a forearm in my mouth from 'Spoon.'"