Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, June 24, 2010

From MV at ESPN.com: Fowles keeps focus in Chicago - Finally injury-free, Fowles has scored in double figures in all 13 Sky games

Chicago Sky center Sylvia Fowles is the youngest of five siblings in her family … yet being a kind of older-sister type actually comes easily to her.

"It's funny, isn't it? I like it, though," said the 6-foot-6 Fowles. "I accept my role. If that's what it takes, that's what I'm willing to do."

"Big Syl" as "big sis"? Well, at the very least, she is that to rookie teammate Epiphanny Prince.

"I cook her food," Fowles said, chuckling.

And to sixth-year pro Cathrine Kraayeveld -- another newcomer this season to the Sky, although not to the WNBA -- Fowles is just a "sister" -- not necessarily the "big" kind. She doesn't need a protective instinct with Kraayeveld; instead they have bonded because of personality similarities.