Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, June 18, 2010

An update from USA Basketball:

Jewell Loyd (Lincolnwood, Ill.), a 5-9 guard from Niles West High School today was added to the 2010 USA Women's U17 World Championship Team following the withdrawal of Alexyz Vaioletama(Mater Dei H.S./Fountain Valley, Calif.), who is unable to participate in the 2010 FIBA U17 World Championship for Women due to a right shin stress fracture.

"I was just really shocked. It is a great honor, and I was speechless," Loyd said. "From the trials, we all got along pretty well, so I'm not worried about the teamwork, and I have been working out here, so I'm ready to go. I'm ready to play with the other girls and learn some new things from coach. I'm just ready to get back out there. It's been one of my dreams to wear USA and represent your country doing something that you really love to do. It's amazing."