Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, November 08, 2004

In response to this post about Hurns and Stringer, I've gotten a couple thoughtful emails defending CVS. Eg:

I feel that there is a reason CVS refuses to explicitly say that Hurns was a "mistake."... I think that she truly does still love Hurns, and thus she doesn't want to call her a "mistake," because that makes it sound like Hurns meant nothing to her. It's a messy situation, and I just think CVS doesn't want to make Hurns feel any worse than she probably already does.

That is absolutely a fair point, and I hope that's a spot-on explanation of CVS's main motivation.

But it's possible to admit a mistake without calling Hurns a mistake. She doesn't have to say: if I'd done my research, I'd have known not to give Hurns a chance. Instead: if I'd done my research, I might have understood more about Hurns, and maybe I could have gotten her some help before this happened.