Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, February 17, 2008

Okay, I'm not saying I'm prescient, but it is nice when teams read the blog and then go out and make my point.

Yesterday, currently unranked DePaul snapped #11 West Virginia's 9-game winning streak. 14 three-pointers and Deirdre Naughton's 24 points and 15 rebounds earned the Blue Demons an 81-80 victory.

St. Bonaventure earned its first victory over a ranked team in school history. Their 44-24 halftime lead over #13 George Washington held, and they went home with a 63-60 win.

How much of a surprise is this? Well, consider that before last season's 16-15 finish they've not had a winning season since 1997-98. Said Bonnies coach Jim Crowley,
"I think there's going some wide eyes. I'm not going to lie, I thought of people seeing the bottom line at halftime and figuring it was a misprint."
Seems like other unranked teams didn't get a chance to read the blog (let this be a lesson to them). Rutgers won, as did Stanford (Wiggins is 50 points away from breaking Lisa Leslie's conference scoring record of 2,414.), California, Utah (16-straight), Notre Dame and Wyoming.